One of the more popular hashtags on Twitter is #ImpeachTrump. Would removing Mad King Donald from the throne make any difference in the overall decay of American democracy?
Think about it. If Trump goes, you get President Mike Pence. He’s every bit as repressive as Trump (if not even moreso) but without the crazy.
Remove Pence, you wind up with President Paul Ryan. The Speaker of the House is a heartless, soulless policy whonk who would sell his mother’s dentures to give an extra $50 to the billionaire class.
OK, so we impeach Pence. We get President Orrin Hatch. He’s the President pro tempore of the Senate, an 83-year old crotchety ultra conservative.
Don’t want Pence? How about President Rex Tillerson, the current Secretary of State. Anyone want that?
5. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin
6. Defense Secretary James Mattis
7. Attorney General Jeff Sessions
8. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke
9. Acting Agriculture Secretary Michael Scuse (nominee Sonny Perdue has not been confirmed)
10. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross
11. Labor Secretary Ed Hugler (nominee Andy Puzder dropped out before confirmation)
12. Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price
13. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson
14. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao
15. Energy Secretary Rick Perry
16. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos
17. Veteran Affairs Secretary David Shulkin
18. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly
So, Impeach Trump? Why bother? Better to wait until 2018 when the Democrats retake the House and Senate, have a 2-for-1 Impeachment Blowout with Trump and Pence and then give the Presidential Oath of Office to a Democratic Speaker of the House.
Other than a coup or a full blown revolution, electing Democrats in large numbers next year seems to be the only wise course of action.