Another one bites the dust. Donald Trump’s choice for Secretary of the Navy, Philip Bilden, has withdrawn his name from consideration.
Bilden told Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis that he just could not live up to the ethical demands of the office, according to CNN.
“After an extensive review process,” Bilden said, “I have determined that I will not be able to satisfy the Office of Government Ethics requirements without undue disruption and materially adverse divestment of my family’s private financial interests.”Mattis said: “This was a personal decision driven by privacy concerns and significant challenges he faced in separating himself from his business interests.”Mattis said he’d recommend another nominee to Trump in the coming days.
This will no doubt come as a shock to Press Secretary Sean Spicer who told the media that the Bilden selection was a done deal.
A week ago, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer countered a report by Major Garrett of CBS News that two sources had told him Bilden was likely to withdraw from consideration for the Navy job.
Spicer tweeted on February 18: “Those people would be wrong. Just spoke with him and he is 100% commited to being the next SECNAV pending Senate confirm.”
Bilden is the second Trump pick to drop out of consideration over financial interests.
Vincent Viola withdrew as Army secretary nominee earlier this month citing trouble disengaging with his business ties.